Sunday, June 19, 2011

Currently reading: The Travancore State Manual, by Nagam Aiyah




The Travancore State Manual is considered one of the most original works related to the history of the erstwhile "Travancore State". My home town, Trivandrum, was part of the state of Travancore and I have a natural urge to read more about its history. Written by the former Dewan of Travancore, V.Nagam Aiyah in 1906, the manual is an elaborate compilation of the the state's geology, flora, fauna, archaeology, and history. Finding the first three sections a little boring, I have leaped to the chapter on archaeology. The Dewan displays great erudition and excellent command over the English language. If it were upto me, I would make the Travancore State Manual and Prof. A. Sreedhara Menon's "A Survey of Kerala History" required reading for all high school students in Kerala.

No comments:

Post a Comment