Saturday, June 11, 2011

Currently reading: The Communist Manifesto

I have wanted to read "The Communist Manifesto" and "Das Capital" for a long time now for no other reason than to hear straight from the horse's mouth. Having grown up in Kerala, I am certainly thankful to the democratically elected communist governments for bringing about radical social changes by obliterating the deeply entrenched feudal setup and diminishing the sway of caste-ism. At the same time, I can never forget how the militant trade unions are responsible for Kerala's lack of industrial development and the dearth of opportunities that still drive thousands of educated and skilled young men and women to other states in search of jobs.

PS: I finished reading the manifesto in English and now I am reading its translation in Malayalam here. I find it a good exercise in literature to attempt to translate a couple of paragraphs to and fro between English and Malayalam. Since both are readily available for reference, I am able to see how feeble by language skills are.

No comments:

Post a Comment