Friday, December 18, 2009

Book Review : The God Delusion by Prof. Richard Dawkins


I have just finished reading "The God Delusion" by Professor Richard Dawkins. It is an extensively researched and well written book packed with cogent arguments in support of atheism. The book excoriates religion and presents several thoughts and ideas that could send shock waves down the minds of believers. Mr. Dawkins makes no bones about his extreme dislike for religions and their gods and goes on the offensive right from the beginning. The second chapter of the book begins with the use of several caustic adjectives for the God of the old testament, whom Mr. Dawkins calls the most unpleasant character in all fiction. He then moves on to tackle several arguments and "proofs" raised by theists including Thomas Aquinas'proofs, Pascal's wager, Baynesian arguments ..etc. He presents counter arguments, proofs and logic to split those arguments asunder. He then moves on to address the roots of religion and morality and explains the reasons behind his avowed hostility towards religions.
I have mentioned previously in one of my other posts that I am not an atheist, but I do try hard to keep an open mind. On several occassions while reading or listening to distasteful opinions, I have had to make conscious efforts to talk myself into listening to the other side of the story. This excellent book has neither talked me into atheism nor has it drifted me away from my beliefs. I have always failed to understand hard core believers and non believers. I am humbled by the infinitude of space and time that envelops me. To take one or the other extreme positions you have to know it all. Are our puny little brains and senses ready for it ? Our species has indeed made huge leaps and we know far more about the Universe today that we did a century ago. But do we know everything yet ?


Michio Kaku in his book "Parallel Worlds" explains how physicists classify civilizations into four types - Type I, II, III and IV based on thier energy output. Type I civilization is one that has harnessed planetary forms of energy. They have the power to control or modify the weather, change the course of hurricanes or build cities on oceans. Such civilizations are truly masters of their planet. Type II civilization is one that has harnessed the power of an entire star and have the power to control solar (stellar) flares and light others stars. Type III is one that would have colonized large portions of its home galaxy. It would have exhausted the energy of a single solar system and possess the power to utilize energy from billions of stars. Type IV civilizations could use extragalactic energy sources like dark energy. The author considers our human civilization to be a "Type 0.7". We are centuries away from becoming masters of our planet and millions of years away from being masters of this universe, let alone multiverse. We are nothing more than a grain of sand in this Sahara of space and time, ergo premature to rush to conclusions about the existence or non-existence of a supreme being that is above all. My simple answer when faced with questions about divinity is that I do not know. I certainly do have my own set of beliefs, many of which fall apart when I scrutinize them, only to be back on their feet when I shift my focus. They are ideas and thoughts that are at the core of what makes me the individual that I am. I neither shove my beliefs down anybody's throat nor do I let anyone one force feed me their beliefs. But yeah, a thought provoking and engaging discussion is something I always relish.

Mr. Dawkins correctly points out that religion fills four main roles in human lives : Explanation, Exhortation, Consolation and Inspiration. In my opinion, the third role "Consolation" is the most important of it all. Pain and suffering have always provided religion the space it needed. There are many who are alive today only because of the hope that their religion provided, there are many who survive only because their religion tells them that their God loves them and will forgive their transgressions, there are many who emerge from their abysses of misery only because they believe that a supreme being is watching over them and cares for them. It is a fact that although religions have have shed much blood to turn all oceans red, they have wiped tears, fed empty stomachs, palliated suffering and been a crutch to billions across the globe. Unlike most people, Mr. Dawkins is concerned about the "truth" and correctly states that "wanting something to be true" is not the same as "it being true". But the truth is also that many people need a pacifier in life, many need a God or religion to keep going, many are not concerned about the truth and live on their truths. Someday, we humans could come up with a solution that fills all the four roles with something other than religion. Science could provide it, but we haven't reached there yet. Till then, hold on to your beliefs and let others do the same. As far as possible confine it within the walls of your homes and places or worship. Live your life the way you want and let others live theirs. Be curious, read and expand your horizons.If my reader is a strong believer and is curious about Mr.Dawkins' ideas, I would suggest him/her to read the last chapter "A much needed gap" and if that turns out to be too much to handle, read the last section titled "The Mother of all burkas" which briefly talks about how mysterious our universe is and provides good food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to be an atheist to see that Dawkins' central argument fails miserably. I'm an atheist and I regularly rebut Dawkins on my blog. See, for example, my article Richard Dawkins and Naive Atheism.

    ReplyDelete