Sunday, April 7, 2013

Reading fever









I have always been a lover of good books. There have been times in my life when reading hits a fleeting feverish pitch and the last weekend was one such. I was a big fan of Ruskin Bond during my school/early college days and had spent several weekends devouring Ruskin's works. It's been quite a while now since I lost myself if the mountains among the characters from his stories. I have quoted Ruskin a couple of times in this blog. I share the love for mountains and a "longing after things past".

 The pure, the bright, the beautiful,
 That stirred our hearts in youth;
 The impulse to a wordless prayer,
 The dreams of love and truth;
 The longings after something lost;
 The spirit's yearning cry;
 The striving after better hopes;
 These things can never die,
 These things can never die.
                                   - Charles Dickens
I have lined up a bunch of Ruskin's works to revisit/relive over the next few weekends - A flight of Pigeons, The night train at Deoli, Rain in the mountains, and A face in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment